Thursday 2nd May 2019 Prayer Devotion
Scripture Reading:- Matthew 7:1-23
Topic:- The Two Paths 
Text:- Matthew 7:13-14
It has been said, “People take different Roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your Road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost.”
The first sentence is certainly true, but how about the second? If we take the Biblical view, some people [in fact, most people], are definitely on the wrong Road or Path, and are ‘lost’ in a very serious way.
The Bible says that there are really just two Paths, one right and one wrong. The Psalmist was certain his God would place him on the right Path in life. See Psalm 16.11.
Jesus illustrated this point using entrance Gates to these two Paths. Jesus is saying that in God’s sight, there are just two Paths in life: right and wrong, good and evil, the way to Heaven and the way to hell. All of humanity walks along one of these two Paths. In God’s sight all are saints or sinners, godly or ungodly. See Matthew 7:13-14.
The First Path:
A. The Broad Way:-
1. Entering life’s journey through the Wide Gate leads us to a ‘Broad Path’ with many sidetracks.
2. This World has no absolutes or boundaries, so virtually anything goes.
3. The Path seems easy and it seems we have free choice to do virtually anything.
4. We can choose to follow the tracks of wealth or power, and many do.
5. We can seek life’s meaning by reading the great Philosophers like Socrates or Nietzsche, Link, or follow New Age Ideas, Islam, or Atheism.
6. Clearly, our worldview or belief system has no bounds and we can believe virtually anything.
7. But this leads to a fuzzy belief system and fuzzy understanding about the World. This World has many sidetracks, many beliefs and many Theories of Life. But where is the Truth?
B. Enter by the Wide Gate to a Broad Path:-
1. Then there’s our personal life. With ever varying culturally defined moral boundaries we can experiment in relationships and float from one to another. [We can even marry someone of the same sex].
2. Now for the big one, those who reject Christ may feel free in a World of chance and personal choice.
3. They sense no control, but in reality their thinking and actions are controlled by the unseen god of this World.
4. In reality, they live alone in a cold, unloving, unjust World without help. As the Bible says in 2 Corinthians 4:4.
C. Consequences Of Our Actions:-
1. Being on Broad, this Path, it is relatively easy to follow (and many do), but all tracks eventually lead to trouble.
2. Jesus was more explicit, “The Broad path leads to destruction.”
3. The seeds of trouble and eventual destruction are sown as this Path is walked.
4. Like it or not, there are unpleasant consequences to ungodly actions, like harbouring an unforgiving heart, the selfish pursuit of wealth or living an immoral life.
5. God’s unseen Spiritual Law applies to all, and none can escape. So, if we sow to the wind we will reap the whirlwind.
6. Of course, many on this Path do ‘good works’ and appear to be ‘good people’. Some even try to work their way to God through ‘good actions’.
7. But whatever we do it is relative to God’s righteousness and all have sinned and fall short of His glory. See Romans 3:23.
8. The New Testament makes it clear that there is only one Way to God, and that is through belief in His Son, Jesus, John 14:6.
1. Oh Lord God, help me to walk in Your own godly path way henceforth, in the name of Jesus Christ.
2. I command every evil, broad path that I may find myself in, cease now and never reappear again in my life henceforth by fire, in the name of Jesus Christ.
3. I will walk by the path and way You have chosen for me, help me oh Lord God henceforth, in the name of Jesus Christ.
Beloved! T.A.C.N. Ijebu Ode Area will be embarking on 40days of Prayer and Fasting Revival starting on Sunday 5th May over 13th June, 2019. You can get a copy of the book produced for it at Apostolic Book Shop, Olorunda-Ketu, Lagos or Call Elder Equere @ Abuja: 08036590077; Presiding Elder Akingbade @ Ojoo-Ibadan: 08038530922; Pastor OLATUBI @ Molipa, Ijebu Ode: 08030452014; 08033016351 or E-mail to this box for the soft copy: firstname.lastname@example.org
Have A Glorious Thursday!