Wednesday 6th March 2019 Prayer Devotion
Scripture Reading:- Proverbs 24:1-20
Topic:- The Seven Deadly Sins 
Text:- Colossians 3:8
5. Wrath – Wrath is a strong anger and hate towards another person. The Bible speaks about wrath in Romans 12:19 that it’s pays to leave vengeance to God alone than allowing wrath.
Additional Bible verses include, Psalm 37:8; Proverbs 14:29; Proverbs 15:1; Ephesians 4:26-27; Colossians 3:8 and James 1:19-20. Patience cures wrath by one first understanding the needs and desires of others before acting or speaking.
6. Envy – Envy is the intense desire to have an item that someone else possesses. See the followings in Proverbs 14:30; Job 5:2; Psalm 37:1; Proverbs 24:19-20; Ecclesiastes 4:4; Galatians 5:26 and James 3:14-16. Kindness cures envy by placing the desire to help others above the need to supersede them.
7. Pride – Pride is an excessive view of one’s self without regard for others. See the followings in Jeremiah 9:23-24; Proverbs 8:13; Proverbs 16:18; Romans 12:16; 1 Corinthians 13:4; Galatians 6:3 and James 4:6-7. Humility cures pride by removing one’s ego and boastfulness, therefore allowing the attitude of service.
All those seven deadly sins are called cardinal sins or capital vices and were taught that they could not be forgiven. However, according to the Bible those 7 deadly sins are completely and totally forgivable by God, but this doesn’t give free license to commit these sins.
According to the bible, the only sin that cannot be forgiven is complete rejection of God’s grace which is outright rebellion against God, also known as blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.
B. The Root Cause Of The Seven Deadly Sins:
1. Each one of these deadly sins listed above has its root in the desire for more and the human need for excess. Each sin goes against the root of Christianity which is Love for God, Love for our fellow man, and Love for our bodies (keeping them as clean temples for God. See 1 Corinthians 6:19-20.
2. Paul wrote to strikes at the root of each of these deadly sins. In effect, is saying that God can take care of our needs and there is no need to lust or desire after excessive things. See Philippians 4:11-12.
C. What Cures These Deadly Sins?
1. The cure for these sins is the gift of a new heart that acts in accordance to the love and law of God. This new heart can only come from God. See Ezekiel 36:26-27.
2. Humanity and prayer are the only hope in the miracle of a regenerated heart that acts according to the direction of the Holy Spirit to walk in God’s statutes and judgments. See 2 Chronicles 7:14.
1. I command power, spirit and actions of lust in me to die to the root by fire now, in the name of Jesus Christ.
2. I command all the seven deadly sins that are in my life, what are you waiting for, died and be consumed now by fire, in the name of Jesus Christ.
3. Oh Lord God, help me to live a holy life and life pleasing unto You always henceforth, in the name of Jesus Christ.