Friday 26th July 2019 Prayer Devotion
Scripture Reading:- Revelation 1:1-18
Topic:- The Alpha And The Omega
Text:- Revelation 1:8
A. What Does It Mean That Jesus Is The Alpha And The Omega:
1. Jesus proclaimed Himself to be the “Alpha and Omega” in Revelation 1:8,11; 21:6; 22:13.
2. Alpha and omega are the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet. Among the Jewish rabbis, it was common to use the first and the last letters of the Hebrew alphabet to denote the whole of anything, from beginning to end.
3. Jesus as the beginning and end of all things is a reference to no one but the true God. This statement of eternality could apply only to God. Jesus proclaims that He is “the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.” See Revelation 22:13.
B. One of the meanings of Jesus being the “Alpha and Omega” is that:
1. He was at the beginning of all things and will be at the close. It is equivalent to saying He always existed and always will exist. It was Christ, as second Person of the Trinity, who brought about the creation. See John 1:3.
2. His Second Coming will be the beginning of the end of creation. As God incarnate, He has no beginning, nor will He have any end with respect to time, being from everlasting to everlasting. See 2 Peter 3:10.
3. The phrase identifies Him as the God of the Old Testament. Isaiah ascribes this aspect of Jesus’ nature as part of the triune God in several places. These are clear indications of the eternal nature of the Godhead. See Isaiah 41:4; 44:6; 48:12.
4. Christ, as the Alpha and Omega, is the first and last in so many ways:
a. He is the “author and finisher” of our faith. Signifying that He begins it and carries it through to completion. See Hebrews 12:2.
b. He is the totality, the sum and substance of the Scriptures, both of the Law and of the Gospel. See John 1:1,14.
c. He is the fulfilling end of the Law. See Matthew 5:17.
d. He is the beginning subject matter of the gospel of grace through faith, not of works. See Ephesians 2:8-9.
e. He is found in the first verse of Genesis and in the last verse of Revelation. He is the first and last, the all in all of salvation, from the justification before God to the final sanctification of His people.
5. Jesus is the Alpha and Omega, the first and last, the beginning and the end. Only God incarnate could make such a statement. Only Jesus Christ is God incarnate.
1. Oh Lord God, be the Alpha and Omega in my life henceforth by fire, in the name of Jesus Christ.
2. Jesus, the Alpha and Omega of my life, never You leave me for once again for the enemies to have their way, in the name of Jesus Christ.
3. I commit my entire life henceforth by fire to You my Alpha and Omega, take control and be in charge, in the name of Jesus Christ.
Happy Weekend! www.timogundelejesu.com