Sunday 26th August 2018 Morning Prayer Devotion
Scripture Reading:- 1 John 3:1-17
Topic:- Run Away From Lust
Text:- 2 Timothy 4:10
There are different things that people lust for in their lives, in faith, lust is defined as every strong desire for something or enjoyment of something. And cannot be compared with love which is almost direct opposite of lust. You can never lust and still have love.
We are discussing about different people as they lusted for something or somebody in their lives and the repercussion it had on them:
1. Esau, the twin brother of Jacob is the first to be discussed on the topic called lust. He lusted for food when he was hungry after returning from his hunting. Although he was hungry but was so desperate and lust for his brother’s food to the extent that he had to sell his birthright in exchange for the food in which his brother Jacob cooked and tricked him with. He sought to regain his birthright with pain but it was too late. See Genesis 25:29-34.
2. Samson is another case study on this topic. He lusted for beautiful women and got his life, power, eye destroyed, and his life terminated untimely. See Judges 14:1-13; 16:1-4.
3. David the King is another type who lusted for woman, flesh and pleasure. He regretted throughout his life. See 2 Samuel 11 and 13.
4. Absalom, one of the sons of David the king too lusted for power. He lusted to the extent of overthrowing his father that nearly lost his life in the process. But himself got his life terminated prematurely. See 2 Samuel 15.
5. Gehazi also got attracted to material gains and paid very dearly for this lustful desire. See 2 Kings 5:20-27
6. Judas Iscariot, one of the Apostles of Jesus is the next to be discussed on lust. He too lusted for money and gain in order to betray and reveal who Jesus was, so as to be arrested and killed. He too died prematurely by hanging himself. See Matthew 26:14-16.
7. The sons of Sceva. They lusted for fame to be like Jesus and Paul without genuine salvation. They got their life’s beating and destroyed by demonic man. See Act 19:11-17.
8. Demas also, who was one of the associates and disciples of Apostle Paul. He lust for the love of the world and backslided. See 2 Timothy 4:10.
Seeing all that befell those people, you will know that you need to run away from lust if it is approaching or tormenting your life. See John 12:16.
You can determine today to make covenant against lust, Job 31:1, and there will be strength and power against lust for you, Philippians 4:13. Please run away from lust, it kills and destroys.
1. I command you power of lust that is still reigning in my life, die by fire, in the name of Jesus Christ.
2. I command, I am no more for lust but for the holy living and love henceforth, in the name of Jesus Christ.
3. I make covenant with my eyes and every part of my body today, never to lust again, in the name of Jesus Christ.
Happy Lord’s Day!