Friday 21st February 2020 Devotion
Scripture:- 1 John 3:1-17
Topic:- Run Away From Lust 
Text:- 2 Timothy 4:10
A. The Meaning Of Lust:
1. Lust is a very strong desire for something or enjoyment of something to satisfy for power or what you love in your heart.
2. Lust is considered by Catholicism to be a disordered desire for sexual pleasure, where sexual pleasure is sought for itself, isolated from its procreative and unitive purposes. However, when sexual desire is separated from God’s love, it becomes disordered and self-seeking. This is seen as lust.
B. Types Of Lusts:
1. Lust of food
2. Lust of money
3. Lust of material things
4. Lust of the world
5. Lust for woman
6. Lust of lies
7. Lust of the flesh
C. Some Examples Of Those Who Had Strong Desire For Lust:
1. Lust For Food. Example is Esau, the twin brother of Jacob, he sold his birthright because of food. See Genesis 25:29-34.
2. Lust For Women. Examples are:
a. Samson, who love Delilah the halot, because of the spirit of lust that was in the life of Samson, he revealed the secret of his power which later course him his life when Delilah delivered him to his enemies, the Philistines and he died with the Philistines.b. David was affected with lust. See 2 Samuel 11:1-18.
3. Lust Of Pleasure:
4. Lust For Material Things: Gehazi going after the things that Naaman brought for his master Elisha, Gehazi collected those things contrary to the will of his master and he paid very dearly for his lustful desire and the master cursed him and he was baptised with the leprosy of Naaman. See 2 Kings 5:20-27.
5. Lust For Money: Judas Iscariot, one of the Apostles of betrayed and revealed Jesus to them that wanted to kill Him because of money. See Matthew 26:14-16. See also Demas in 1 Timothy 6:10.
6. Lust Of Lies: Ananias and Sapphira keeping back part of the land money sold and the judgment of God came upon them immediately. See Acts 5:1-11.
7. Lust Of The Flesh: Those that have love in decorating themselves gorgeously e.g bleaching, changing the colour of their hair, fixing nails, fixing eyelashes, decorating their faces like masquerade and using big earrings. See Isaiah 3:16-24.
8. Lust Of The World: Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the father is not in him. You can not serve God and mammon. 1 John 2:15; Matthew 6:24.
D. How To Overcome Lust In Our Life:
1. You must be born again, that is regenerated and be transformed into the image of God. See John 3:3; Acts 3:16.
2. By praying always. See 1 Thessalonians 5:17; Matthew 26:41.
3. Reading the word of God. See Joshua 1:8; Hebrews 4:12.
4. Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves. See Hebrews 10:25.
5. Walk in the Spirit. See Galatians 5:16.
6. Always resist the devil and he will flee from you. See James 4:7.
7. Do not allow sin to have dominion over you, run away from sin. See Romans 6:14.
E. In conclusion, I want you to agree with me that all the type of lusts discussed they are spirit and they are our weaknesses. We need to identify our weakness individually before we can deal with them, you must identify your own lust today and pray against it.
Prayer Point:- O Lord my God, turn my weakness to strength and power so as not to obey the voice of lust again, in the name of Jesus Christ.