Monday 16th September 2019 Prayer Devotion
Scripture Reading:- John 8:1-11
Topic:- Reasons Why Jesus Wrote On The Ground 
Text:- John 8:8
Let try to understand the reasons why Jesus write twice with His finger on the ground when men wanted to stone a woman?
When Jesus says or does something unusual it just means that He is giving us a deep insight into some aspect of God’s great plan for humanity.
A. The scene looks simple. The scribes and Pharisees plan to trap Him with a sinful woman. If He says that they can stone this sinner woman then He has obeyed the Law of Moses, but He is then no longer the Prince of Life because He has given a death sentence.
1. If He says that they must not stone her, then He has contradicted Moses and broken the Law. So either way they think that they have got Him trapped.
They present the terrified woman to Jesus. She is definitely guilty of adultery. Her awful death by stoning is written on their hard faces. They long for permission to kill. Being hypocrites, they pretend to go through the procedure of a trial. See John 8:4-6.
2. He now does a fascinating but mysterious action. He stoops right down and writes with His finger in the ground. He completely ignores them as if He is totally alone and they are not even there.
3. This takes us back to Moses on mount Sinai when he was totally alone on top of the mountain to get the ten commandments. What on earth is Jesus trying to tell them, and us?
4. They are trying to catch Him out on a clever technical question concerning the Law of Moses. The ten commandments mentions adultery. So this is the crux of the issue.
5. Using His finger to write in the ground refers us back to the finger of God the Father Who wrote the ten commandments onto stone tablets. See Exodus 31:18; 32:15-16.
6. So what is Jesus actually saying? Jesus is giving them an in depth lecture on the futility of the Law to improve human behavior. Commandments written on the outside of stone tablets did not make the Jews into nicer people.
7. Jesus says in effect, “You guys want to trap me on a certain issue in the Law. But you fail to realize that I am the One Who originally wrote the Law.
8. As God the Father, with My finger, I wrote the ten commandments of the Law on tables of stone. Judging from your lust to kill this woman, the commandments have failed to make you better people.
9. Now as the Son of God I am going through a time wasting exercise of writing the ten commandments in the ground. Wind and rain and people’s feet will erase what I have written. So it is a futile exercise. Why on earth do I then do this?
Prayer Point: Oh Lord God, help me not to put You in test nor failed You henceforth by fire, in the name of Jesus Christ.
Have A Lovely Monday! www.timogundelejesu.com