SATURDAY 7TH JULY 2018 MORNING PRAYER DEVOTION
SCRIPTURE READING:- GENESIS 12:1-9
TOPIC:- REASONS WHY ABRAHAM WAS CALLED GOD’S FRIEND
TEXT:- GENESIS 12:1-9
In the Bible, there are some names which special attentions were made on them and this made them distinct from all others. For example, Jesus was called “My Son in whom I am well pleased”, Luke 3:22. Enoch walked with God and was translated, Hebrew 11:5. God Himself commended Job that there is none like him in his time, Job 1:8. While David was called a man after God’s heart, Act 13:22.
Coming back to Abraham who is the center of our topic today, in three places in the Bible was Abraham called God’s friend. In I Chronicles 20:7, it was King Jehoshaphat who reminded God of Abraham His friend that through him the Israelites were called. He was doing this during his prayer and fasting when he (Jehoshaphat) was confronted in Battle.
In Isaiah 41:8, 21 Prophet Isaiah was telling the Israelites through prophecy that Abraham their forefather was God’s friend; and that no matter their problem and war, tey should present their case in prayer and holiness unto God.
And lastly, in James 2:23, Apostle James was reminding the Christians concerning Abraham who was called the father of faith and also God’s friend because he (Abraham) combined faith with his works just as God use faith and work during creation.
The following are the reasons why Abraham was called God’s friend:-
1. Abraham was a believer in God i.e. trusting in someone he did not see, yet he did not doubt His existence. Because for someone he did not see, yet he did not doubt His existence. Because for someone you haven’t seen or met before to instruct you to leave your father’s land, properties and family and go to a place that he will show you (no specification), and he (Abraham) believed in God, Genesis 12:1-9.
2. Abraham was called a friend of God because he was a man of faith. Since God is a God of faith, so also Abraham was a man of faith (Genesis 1:1-5 and Hebrew 11:1-3, 8-10.
3. Abraham was called God’s friend because he became righteous. As we know that God is righteous and anyone who will walk with Him must be righteous, so this made Abraham to qualify as friend of God. Although righteousness implied two things: (1) Your right standing with God i.e. knowing and serving God and (2) Your way of life, living righteously i.e. in holiness unto God, James 2:23.
4. Abraham was called God’s friend was because he knew how to give i.e. he was a sacrificial giver. Remember that he gave willingly, even his tithe to the king of Salem, the high priest of the most high God (Melchizedek), Genesis 14:18-20. You will also remember that he willingly entertained visitors knowing not that they were Angels, and thereby enact God’s promise of child to fulfillment. See Genesis 18:1-5.
5. The same Abraham without resentment almost sacrificed his only son Isaac as God tested him in demanding his only son. And his obedience proved to God that he loved Him, which impressed God and made him qualify as God’s friend. See Genesis 22.
6. Abraham was called God’s friend was because he was a trainer. At least he trained his family to fear God, especially Lot his nephew. See Genesis 18:19.
7. Abraham was called God’s friend was that he was a father of Nations while God Himself is the God of all Nations. See Genesis 18:18.
8. Lastly, Abraham was called God’s friend because he was a peace maker. At least he settled the dispute between his herdsmen and Lot’s herdsmen in Genesis 13:1-12. He also pleaded for Sodom and Gomorrah not to be consumed, yet it was only Lot and his family that God spared (Genesis 18:20-33). And also he dug many wells that was taken from him but still went ahead to resolve it peaceably later. See Genesis 21:22-34.
1. Lord God, I want to be your friend, make me Your friend indeed and forever, in the name of Jesus Christ.
2. I command everything in my life that is not pleasing unto God and hindering my fellowship with Him, Holy Ghost fire, consume them, in the name of Jesus Christ.
3. Holy Spirit of God! I want to have fellowship and commune with You everyday as a friend, help me now, in the name of Jesus Christ!
Have A Beautiful Saturday!