Friday 12th April 2019 Prayer Devotion
Scripture Reading:- 2 Thessalonians 3:1-18
Topic:- Paul’s Teaching On Prayer 
Text:- 2 Thessalonians 3:1
4. Paul asked for prayer to have a bold and clear proclamation of the Gospel. The Gospel was of first importance for the Apostle Paul. His Gospel focus comes out in his personal prayer requests. He requests prayer for the right words in sharing the Gospel, to proclaim the Gospel without fear, clarity in communication, doors to be opened for the Gospel, and that God’s Word would speed ahead and be honored. He doesn’t want to leave any room for miscommunication but rather prays and requests prayer for the Gospel to “run” through his Ministry. See 1 Corinthians 15:3; 2 Thessalonians 3:1.
5. Paul requested prayer to be rescued from wicked men. Paul endured beatings, imprisonments, shipwrecks, and faced constant danger. He often had a target on his back due to opposition from the Jews, Gentiles, and false Teachers, and constantly coveted the prayers of the saints. This is why Paul asked several times to be rescued from unbelievers and delivered from wicked and evil men. He later tells the Corinthians that their prayers for him will help deliver him from deadly peril. He does not pray condemnatory prayers or imprecation Psalms against his enemies, but rather seeks deliverance from them. God answered many of these prayers, but ultimately did not prevent Paul’s death. See 2 Corinthians 1:10-11; 11:25-28; 2 Thessalonians 3:2.
6. Paul submitted his requests to God’s will. Paul’s request, even as an Apostle with Apostolic authority, knows that his prayers need to follow the pattern taught by Christ, who taught His disciples to pray. Not all of our plans are answered as we would like. But like Paul, we can trust God and His perfect will to work things for the good of those who love him and the good of the Kingdom. See Romans 15:32; Matthew 6:10; 26:39.
1. Oh Lord God, give me power and grace to pray and to pray through, in the name of Jesus Christ.
2. Oh Lord God, wake up the giant in me that pray, and never to be weary in prayer again, in the name of Jesus Christ.
3. Oh Lord God, help me to find grace on my knees, and to be a prayer warrior henceforth, in the name of Jesus Christ.