Friday 17th August 2018 Morning Prayer Devotion
Scripture Reading:- 2 Kings 2
TOPIC:- Miracles In The Carrier Of Elijah
Text:- 2 Kings 2:9; Deuteronomy 21:17
A. Miracles by Elijah:
Prior to the time Elijah was caught up to heaven in the whirlwind, his younger understudy (Elisha) requested a double portion of Elijah’s spirit, (2 Kings 2:9). Elijah being under the inspiration of God then replied that Elisha’s request would be granted provided that the younger prophet were with him at the time he was taken away. The scriptures then recorded that this condition was fulfilled.
After reading of the spectacular career of Elijah, it is difficult to believe that any man could have a double portion of his spirit, yet it came to pass that exactly twice as many miracles were done in the ministry of Elisha as in that of Elijah.
The taking of Elijah to heaven, the parting of the water, the response of the company of prophets, and the two additional miracles recorded immediately afterwards all affirm that Elisha’s request for a double portion was both honorable and granted by the Lord. Elisha’s ministry was one.
B. Miracles in the career of Elijah:
1. Causing the rain to cease for 3 1/2 years, 1 Kings 17:1.
2. Being fed by the ravens, 1 Kings 17:4.
3. Miracle of the barrel of meal and cruse of oil, 1 Kings 17:14.
4. Resurrection of the widow’s son, 1 Kings 17:22.
5. Calling of fire from heaven on the altar, 1Kings 18:38.
6. Causing it to rain again, 1 Kings 18:45.
7. Prophecy that Ahab’s sons would all be destroyed, 1 Kings 21:22.
8. Prophecy that Jezebel would be eaten by dogs, 1 Kings 21:23.
9. Prophecy that Ahaziah would die of his illness, 2 Kings 1:4.
10. Calling fire from heaven upon the first 51 soldiers, 2 Kings 1:10.
11. Calling fire from heaven upon the second 51 soldiers, 2Kings 1:12.
12. Parting of the Jordan, 2Kings 2:8.
13. Prophecy that Elisha should have a double portion of his spirit, 2 Kings 2:10.
14. Being caught up to heaven in a whirlwind, 2 Kings 2:11.
1. Oh Lord God, help me to resemble You and to be like You henceforth, in the name of Jesus Christ.
2. Oh Lord God, anoint me specially with Your double portion now by fire, in the name of Jesus Christ.
3. Oh Lord God, I want to be Your fire carrier, help me henceforth to be, in the name of Jesus Christ.