TUESDAY 3RD JULY 2018 MORNING PRAYER DEVOTION
SCRIPTURE READING:- GENESIS 19:1-25
TOPIC:- FIRE CAME DOWN FROM HEAVEN 
TEXT:- JOB 1:16
In the Scripture, fire of the Lord came down from heaven to perform some specific works in order that God’s mysterious works might be known, and for the people to believe that God is real. Therefore, we shall be discussing these places and the purpose why the fire came down from heaven.
1. Fire came down from heaven on the people of Sodom and Gomorrah because of their evil deeds and immoralities. In fact, Lot (Abraham’s nephew) would have been destroyed in this fire, but for God’s mercy and for Abraham’s sake, as the fire consumed and destroyed the entire city of Sodom and Gomorrah. See Genesis 18:17-21; 19:1-25.
2. Fire also came from heaven and consumed Nadab and Abihu who were the children of Aaron, the high Priest and senior brother of Moses. Since God had confirmed Aaron’s children to be the Priest and it was in one of their priesthood duty (to offer fire for sacrifice) that they were both consumed by the fire that came from heaven, because they offered strange fire, which God had commanded them not to do (Exodus 30:9). Because of the strange fire they offered, God’s fore came down from heaven and consumed them. See Exodus 30:9; Leviticus 10:1-3.
3. Fire came down from heaven when Korah, Dathan and Abiram rebelled against God and against Moses. Because they questioned the authority of God in the life of Moses. See Numbers 16:1-35.
4. Fire of the Lord came down through Elijah on Mount Camel when Elijah challenged the prophets of Baal for a contest that the God that answers by fire is the true God. This contest was as a result of the children of Israel deserting the true God and their refusal to worship Him but preferred to follow and serve idols. This apostasy was so great in Israel and its environs, and this made Elijah intervene by calling down the fire of the Lord from heaven which as a result returned Israelites to the true God and His worship. See I Kings 18:17-39.
5. Another place where fire fell from heaven was through the same Elijah who called forth fire to consume the One hundred and two armies Israel that were sent to arrest him for saying the truth in condemning King Ahaziah, for deviating from following God. See 2 Kings 1:1-17.
6. Furthermore, the fire of God came down from heaven through Solomon when he was dedicating the newly constructed temple of God. After his prayer, fire came down as an answer to his prayer and a sign of the acceptance of the sacrifice by the Lord. See 2 Chronicles 7:1-10.
7. Another place was when Satan pushed God to allow him tempt Job in which fire later came from heaven to consume the properties of Job. See Job 1:1-20.
8. The last but not the least was on the day of Pentecost where about One hundred and twenty Disciples of Christ gathered and they were waiting for the promised Holy Spirit, Luke 24:49; Act 1:8; Act 1:15. The fulfillment of this promise was accompanied with a sign of fire form heaven, but this time it was not to consume or destroy the people rather it was to baptize them, empower them and make them a fire brand in the hand of the Holy Ghost, Luke 3:16-17. This was the power of God that they were waiting and praying for. See Act 2:1-41.
1. Holy fire of God, consume every consumables of the devil that are operating in my life, in the name of Jesus Christ.
2. Abba Father, let Your Holy fire refine me and make me holy as You are holy, in the name of Jesus Christ.
3. I command Holy Ghost fire to go to the source and foundation of my problem and settle me completely, in the name of Jesus Christ.
Have a glorious Tuesday!