1. In verse 2, he likens the fellowship to something that brings spiritual life, because the High Priest stood between the living and the dead to make atonement for the people to receive life from God.
1. Love in the fellowship among believers must be balanced with control, check and discipline. Sin must be rebuked and gotten rid of, else it destroys the fellowship life of believers. That is why there must be discipline within the believers’ fellowship.
2. We are to exert discipline over the people that are not living right, “who having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof, from such turn away”, 2 Timothy 3:5.
3. True believers should not make friends with hypocrites who have a shallow religion, devoid of the power to overcome sin. There must be separation from every brother or sister who “walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us”, 2 Thessalonians 3:6.
4. We are not to encourage backsliders, but to point them to the way of repentance and restoration. “For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. Look to yourself, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward”, 3 John 7, 8.
1. The discipline of a few erring believers should not hinder the flow of love in the believers’ fellowship. We are to increase in love, compassion, mercy and in helping one another. See 1 Thessalonians 4:9.
2. Paul, the Apostle, with all the gifts and power of the Spirit was concerned about the absence of one of his converts in a meeting “I had no rest in my spirit, because I found not Titus my brother”. That is the attitude of somebody that has love and is really in fellowship. See 2 Corinthians 2:13.
3. True fellowship means caring and being concerned for one another. In this time of adversity, we ought to be encouraging, praying for, talking to and developing one another. See Malachi 3:6.
4. Words of love and encouragement given to a faltering brother or sister will not go unrewarded by the Lord. We must endeavor to strengthen those that are weak, restore the backsliders, help the feeble and watch over our own lives that we are not taken away from the fellowship of the people of God.
1. Oh Lord God, let my faithfulness in attending Church meetings henceforth be rewarded for good, in the name of Jesus Christ.
2. Oh Lord God, help me to grow spiritually and to resemble You as I fellowship sincerely henceforth, in the name of Jesus Christ.
3. Oh Lord God, as I fellowship with my brethren henceforth, help me to reign and have fellowship with You in Your heavenly kingdom, in the name of Jesus Christ.
Have a Lovely Thursday!