Wednesday 27th February 2019 Prayer Devotion
Scripture Reading:- Psalm 133
Topic:- Fellowship Among The Brethren 
Text:- Acts 2:42
A. The Scripture records that on the day of Pentecost, about 3,000 souls came to the Lord, and became members of the family of God. They continued in the teaching of the word of God and were united in fellowship one with another.
1. The practice of the early Church is what is expected of members of the family of God today.
2. True children of God are brethren in God’s family who cannot live without fellowship with God and one with another. Love is the basis of such fellowship.
3. The Greek word, Koinonia, means fellowship, communion, partnership as well as sharing together. Our Christian lives cannot be lived in isolation, but in fellowship with other brethren.
4. True Christian fellowship strengthens the believer and the Church, while the lack of fellowship weakens both the individual believer and the Church. We need to constantly walk in the light and to have fellowship with fellow believers.
B. The Description Of The Believer’s Fellowship:
1. God gives us a lot of illustrations to describe the fellowship among believers. He uses the symbols of a family and a flock to show us what fellowship is all about, in particular in Psalm 133:1.
2. Here, He tells us that it is good, beautiful, profitable and pleasant for brethren to dwell together in unity. It is also refreshing and contributes to the joy in the believer’s life.
3. If we understand it in the New Testament sense, ‘brethren’ means the people who belong to the family of God. It also means the children of God.
4. In Psalm 133:2, He gives us an illustration of this kind of fellowship. Here, He likens fellowship to something ordained of God as the consecration of Aaron for the office of the high priest.
5. The consecration of the High Priest was climaxed by the anointing oil, the ointment that was poured upon him to consecrate or set him apart for the office and ministry of the High Priest in the land of Israel.
6. The ointment used was a special one, divinely composed and exclusively to be used for the consecration of the High Priest.
6. It underscores the fact that the believers’ fellowship has a divine origin. It is special, distinct, unique and universal without restriction or partiality.
7. As the ointment went down and spread to every part of the garment even to the lowest border, so the believers’ fellowship should reach from the top to all members even to the youngest convert.
1. Oh Lord God, help me to be faithful in attending Church meetings henceforth, in the name of Jesus Christ.
2. Oh Lord God, help me to fellowship faithfully henceforth, in the name of Jesus Christ.
3. Oh Lord God, help me to enjoy maximally the fellowship with my brethren henceforth, in the name of Jesus Christ.