Friday 7th June 2019 Prayer Devotion
Scripture Reading:- 1 Kings 17:1-7
Topic:- Elijah A Man Of Faith, Prayer And His Words
Text:- James 5:16-17
Elijah was not a man of many words; but he was a man of much faith. He was a man of action because he was also a man of prayer and the Word.
His words/message was short, direct, curt, and always to the point. No diplomacy found in him. His appearance was dramatic and sudden. He did not come bowing and scraping, he was not full of pious platitudes in order to get the king in the mood for what he had to say.
He leveled with Ahab. He laid it on the line and then left just as suddenly as he had come he said without fear there would be neither dew nor rain for years except by his word.
A man of courage and faith, a man available to the Lord and one willing to count for God when the foundations were crumbling all around him.
Man that did not have a corner on spirituality. His faith and prayer made him inherently different because it soothes our consciences and gives us an excuse for being mediocre or run-of-the-mill.
We think it excuses us from tackling tough things for God. However, James 5:16b-17 blows that theory wide open. First call out attention to the fact that the faithful prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much and be used dramatically for God.
Then he reminds us that (Elijah was a man of a nature just like ours). Elijah possessed a sinful nature just like ours with weakness, fear and doubts. He faced the “I can’t” the “I don’t feel like” syndrome just like everyone else.
But by the strength of God through faith, Elijah rose above his weaknesses through the divine resources at his disposal.
The same resources are available t us in the Lord in even more abundant ways in New Testament times through the ministry of the Holy Spirit today.
1. I lose myself from the spirit of talkativeness and double tongue henceforth by fire, in the name of Jesus Christ.
2. Oh Lord God, increase my faith in You henceforth by fire, in the name of Jesus Christ.
3. Oh Lord God, give me the grace to respect man and fear God henceforth by fire, in the name of Jesus Christ.
4. Oh Lord God, bring me out of my comfort zone to please You God totally henceforth, in the name of Jesus Christ.
5. Oh Lord God, anoint my tongue for Your Word in my mouth to come to pass instantaneous henceforth by fire, in the name of Jesus Christ.