Five Interesting Things About The First GardenJune 17, 2020
Why You Should Not Drink Alcohol June 19, 2020
Thursday 18th June 2020 Devotion
Scripture:- Genesis 9:1-26
Topic:- Why You Should Not Drink Alcohol 
Text:- Deuteronomy 21:20
- Genesis 9:20-26 says Noah became drunk; the result was immorality and family trouble.
- Genesis 19:30-38 says Lot was so drunk he did not know what he was doing; this led to immorality.
- Leviticus 10:9-11, God commanded Priests not to drink so that they could tell the difference between the holy and the unholy.
- Numbers 6:3, The Nazarites were told to eat or drink nothing from the grape vine.
- Deuteronomy 21:20, A drunken son was stubborn and rebellious.
- Deuteronomy 29:5-6, God gave no grape juice to Israel nor did they have intoxicating drink in the wilderness.
- Deuteronomy 32:33, Intoxicating wine is like the poison of serpents, the cruel venom of asps.
- Judges 13:4, 7, 14 says Samson was to be a Nazarite for life. His mother was told not to drink wine or strong drink.
- 1 Samuel 1:14-15, Accused, Hannah said she drank no wine.
- 1 Samuel 25:32-38, Nabal died after a drunken spree.
- 2 Samuel 11:13, By getting Uriah drunk, David hoped to cover his sin.
- 2 Samuel 13:28-29, Amnon was drunk when he was killed.
- 1 Kings 16:8-10, The king was drinking himself into drunkenness when he was assassinated.
- 1 Kings 20:12-21 says Ben-Hadad and 32 other kings were drinking when they were attacked and defeated by the Israelites.
- Esther 1:5-12, The king gave each one all the drink he wanted. The king was intoxicated when he commanded the queen to come.
- Psalm 75:8 says The Lord’s anger is pictured as mixed wine poured out and drunk by the wicked.
- Proverbs 4:17 says Alcoholic drink is called the wine of violence.
- Proverbs 20:1, Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging.
- Proverbs 23:19-20 says A wise person will not be among the drinkers of alcoholic beverages.
- Proverbs 23:21 says Drunkenness causes poverty.
- Proverbs 23:29-30 says Drinking causes woe, sorrow, fighting, babbling, wounds without cause and red eyes.
- Proverbs 23:31, God instructs not to look at intoxicating drinks.
- Proverbs 23:32 says Alcoholic drinks bite like a serpent, sting like an adder.
- Proverbs 23:33 says Alcohol causes the drinker to have strange and adulterous thoughts, produces willfulness, and prevents reformation.
- Proverbs 23:34 says Alcohol makes the drinker unstable
- Proverbs 23:35 – Alcohol makes the drinker insensitive to pain so he does not perceive it as a warning. Alcohol is habit forming.
- Proverb 31:4-5, Kings, Princes, and others who rule and judge must not drink alcohol. Alcohol perverts good judgment.
- Proverbs 31:6-7 says Strong drink could be given to those about to perish or those in pain. Better anesthetics are available today.
- Ecclesiastes 2:3; 12:8 says The king tried everything, including intoxicating drink, to see if it satisfied. It did not.
- Ecclesiastes 10:17, A land is blessed when its leaders do not drink.
- Isaiah 5:11-12 says Woe to those who get up early to drink and stay up late at night to get drunk.
- Isaiah 5:22 says Woe to “champion” drinkers and “experts” at mixing drinks.
- Isaiah 19:14 says Drunken men stagger in their vomit.
- Isaiah 22:12-13 says The Israelites choose to drink; their future looks hopeless to them.
- Isaiah 24:9 says Drinkers cannot escape the consequences when God judges.
- Isaiah 28:1 – God pronounces woe on the drunkards of Ephraim.
- Isaiah 28:3 says Proud drunkards shall be trodden down.
- Isaiah 28:7, Priests and Prophets stagger and reel from beer and wine, err in vision, and stumble in judgment.
- Isaiah 28:8 says Drinkers’ tables are covered with vomit and filth.
- Isaiah 56:9-12 says Drinkers seek their own gain and expect tomorrow to be just like today.
Prayer Point:- Oh Lord God, help me to resist falling into the sin of intoxicating drink, in the name of Jesus Christ.
Have A Glorious Thursday!